Strawberries and Cream Summer Cake
With Wimbledon finals happening over the weekend and strawberries and cream being a staple at the tournament, there is no better time to share this quick and easy summer cake, which is sure to impress your friends and family this weekend and for the rest of summer.
You will need:
225g caster sugar
225g self-raising flour
125g strawberries (or more if you wish)
300ml double cream
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C. Grease two round tins with butter and line with baking paper.
- Start by softening the butter and then cream the butter with the sugar until completely mixed together.
- Next, add the eggs, whisk these until the mixture is slightly runny. This is where you can get the most air into the cake, but be wary not to over beat.
- Next, add the self-raising flour, sieving to ensure it remains light and gently stir into the batter, folding until no more flour can be seen, but being careful not to over do it and beat the air out that was already in.
- Share the mixture equally between the two tins and put in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until you can put a knife in the cake and it comes out clean (with no mixture on it).
- Take the cake out and wait until completely cold.
- Whisk the double cream until thick, but be careful not to overdo it as the cream begins to have a funny taste!
- Chop the strawberries and place between the cake how ever you wish. I decided to put most of the cream in the middle, but you can decorate it however you like!
- Place in the fridge until you are ready to serve!
Enjoy after a BBQ or just as an afternoon snack in the sunshine!